Gaming on a Mac is not what Apple is historically known for. /bradford-white-age-by-serial-number/. However, with Apple delving into the fledgling virtual and augmented reality space, some traditional game interfaces and not so traditional interfaces (think HTC wands or Valve's knuckle controllers) now need to be supported on macOS to reap the VR/AR benefits to their fullest.
- This driver adds support to Mac OS X for the official Microsoft Xbox 360 wired controller. Along with all the buttons, both analog sticks, the analog triggers and the D-pad, it implements Force.
- Xbox 360 Controller Driver 0.16.10 for Mac OS X The Xbox 360 console software is updated periodically with new features, download the latest firmware to take advantage of them. More about this driver.
This driver will let your Mac talk to the Xbox 360 controller, and vice versa. Once downloaded, mount the disk image with a double click on the.dmg file and then double click on the.pkg file. It didn’t take much effort to find this Knowledge Base Article at Steam, concerning the use of a XBox 360 Controller on Mac with Source games (Half-Life is a so called “Source” game by Valve). First we need to get into the so called “Developer Console”, which is relatively easy for most Valve games. Oct 15, 2018 - It's a lot easier to play Mac games with a PlayStation 4 or Xbox One controller. Have a better chance if you play games downloaded through Steam). The aging wired Xbox 360 controller is still the best gamepad for the PC,.
To ready you for some amazing VR pilot games such as Eve: Valkyrie that utilize a traditional game Xbox game controller, we're here to show you how to connect one to your Mac! In the past this method only applied to the Xbox 360 controller, but the latest version of the software you'll be using also now supports the Xbox One controller.
How to download and install the drivers
Steam Controller Driver Download Xbox 360 Mac Address
We're assuming that you already own a wired Xbox controller, but if you're needing to buy, a standard controller is about $50. You'll need to connect it to your Mac using a microUSB cable which, sadly, isn't included. If you buy a third-party wired controller you won't have to worry about this.
Next, follow these steps.
- Launch Safari.
- Navigate to https://github.com/360/Controller/360Controller/releases.
Download the latest release of the 360Controller driver. As of this writing, the latest release is 0.16.5.
- Go to your Downloads folder in Finder.
- Double-click the 360Controllerinstall_*.dmg file.
Double-click the Install360Controller.pkg that pops up in Finder.
- Click Continue.
Again, click Continue.
- Select to Agree the license agreement.
- Click Install.
Agree to allow a restart of the computer by clicking Continue Installation.
- Click Restart.
You can optionally have the downloaded file Moved to Trash.
- Upon restarting the computer start System Preferences from the dock or the menu.
- Click on Xbox 360 Controllers.
How to connect your Xbox 360 controller
Once you've installed the drivers, you'll now logically see that there are No devices found, since we have yet to physically connect the game controller to the Mac.
- Plug in your controller to your Mac. If you have a current model MacBook or MacBook Pro, you'll need a USB-C to USB-A adapter.
- Click OK when the System Extension Blocked warning message pops up.
- Go into System Preferences via the dock or menu.
Click Security & Privacy.
- Under the General tab click the Lock at the bottom left.
Enter your password and click Unlock.
- Click Allow.
Your Xbox wired controller should now be connected!
I am super stoked about developers climbing aboard the VR/AR hype train. As a mere consumer of VR, I can only hope for more and more creative minds to get on board. If you're a VR/AR developer, or even better yet, a macOS VR/AR developer, what other ways can Apple help promote virtual reality on their platform? Let us know in the comments!
Updated April 2018: Updated to reflect that this method also now supports the Xbox One controller.
This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy for more details.
Xbox Controller Driver Mac
Help connecting Xbox One controller?
Just recently made the transition to Mac (bought a new MacBook Air a couple months ago) and I'm trying to connect one of my Xbox One controllers to play Rocket League on Steam. I can get the Mac to recognize the controller when I connect via micro-usb (controller vibrates and shows up in Finder), but the drivers I downloaded (360 Controller and Xone Controller) from Github don't recognize the controller. I'm seeing people say that it's incompatible with OSX High Sierra, and the driver hasn't been updated in a few months. Anyone know of any other drivers or other ways to connect the controller? I'd hate to buy a PS4 or Steam controller when I have 3 Xbox One and 2 Xbox 360 controllers already, and RL is impossible with keyboard/mouse.
TL;DR: XBone controller won't connect to Github drivers for Mac OSX High Sierra, help.